The weathermen say there is a heat wave coming to Cornwall. Here are a few tips for keeping your dog cool and healthy.
- Know the signs of dehydration: excessive drooling, lethargy and bloodshot eyes.
- Always carry water, a water bottle with portable bowl so your dog can drink is handy, and less than £3 Water bottle for your dog
- Walk your dog early in the day (before 8am) if you can and then later after 5pm. If they are desperate to go out the middle of the day, let them out briefly to check the heat for themselves and then take them back indoors.
- Cool your dog in fun ways: give your dog a block of ice to lick,set up a paddling pool or get a fine mist sprinkler to stick on a hose pipe.
- Don’t forget sun cream on the snout and patches of thin fur
- Find a cool surface such as tiles or a wet towel for your dog to lie on.
Should go without saying of course, but never leave your dog in a hot car.